Monday, November 1, 2021

Weight

 


After the complications I went through with the head turn assignment, and knowing that future assignments were likely going to become even more complex, I decided to stick with something simpler in execution for the weight assignment. I recorded reference footage of myself hoisting up an object, first to chest level, and then lifting it over my head. Then, my goal was to translate this into an animation.

Although sticking with a smaller and more simplified style for the character helped to speed up the individual process of drawing each frame, it introduced some interesting challenges in terms of maintaining volume control. In particular, finding a good balance between stretching out the arms so they can hold the box and lift it over a large head while making sure to mask this increase in length as much as possible was something I did a lot of re-iterating on. To further build around this detail, I applied exaggeration to principles such as squash and stretch, taking advantage of the character's unique build to sell a more cartoonish situation and make the adjustment of volume less out-of-place.

No comments:

Post a Comment